Mytutorlist.com - Free Tutoring Classifieds Blog Home Advertise on this site! Blue Pandemonium Art and Toys Email Me!

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

You need ledges to land...

There was a pigeon frantically trying to fly through a pane of glass in the stairwell at the skytrain station today. Smash! Get up! Panic! Fly at glass, smash! Instinctively, I reached down and scooped it up. I walked back up to the top of the sky train platform to see if I could drop it off near one of the nesting areas. Finding none which looked safe, I walked back down to the main area where the pigeon would have open space to fly away. I first examined it to see if it looked damaged in any way. The pigeon had been quite cooperative as I had walked around with it, but upon being examined so close to my face, it was scared and struggled. It looked fine so I put it down on the ground. It immediately tried to fly away - straight into another pane of glass. Ouch! Luckily, there was little acceleration, so it was fine.

It walked off a distance from me, regained its composure and took off into the air. Round in a little circle (very unsteadily), look for a landing spot... oh yeah, that straight pane of glass looks like a good place to try and land... nope, can't fly through glass... oh yeah, that cement wall looks like a good place to land... nope, no ledge... This was not the brightest pigeon in the coop. It finally came back to land in the same spot on the ground. I stood and watched the bird, and it looked back at me as though it was my fault that it couldn't fly through glass and land on vertical walls. I pointed at the nice ledge above us in the opposite direction it had flown and it looked up, but didn't fly. Its tail feathers trembled and I guess the earlier flight had shaken it up a little. Since it could clearly fly, albeit unsteadily, I figured it would be okay and continued on my way to work. Hopefully, it will have learned its lesson and will give up it's wall-scaling, spiderman days. Cuz even Spiderman can't fly through glass...

No comments: