Mytutorlist.com - Free Tutoring Classifieds Blog Home Advertise on this site! Blue Pandemonium Art and Toys Email Me!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Story of Smurfette

All my life I've wondered why there was only one girl in the the Smurf village. I always wanted to know her story. Today I picked up a copy of The Smurfs Season One from Future Shop and finally discovered the truth: Gargamel made Smurfette!!! Is that a shocker or what?!?

Of course, when he first made her, she was black haired (hey... what's wrong with black hair?) and designed for evil (he left out "everything nice" and added "half a pack of lies".) The Smurfs welcome her into their village and treat her well (they design a really lovely, girly house for her!), she leads them to their demise once knowingly and once accidentally, and then redeems herself by saving them. In the meanwhile, Papa Smurf helps her to become a real Smurf and the result is a new, "improved" blonde Smurf with a frilly dress and heels.

It's really quite hilarious to watch cartoons from my childhood and to analyze them from a more grown-up perspective. I have discovered that many of the characters that I was so fond of are not really as likable as I remember them to be. There are also some questionable themes and ideas. Nevertheless, it's still a great blast from the past and I still admire the wonderful quality of hand-drawn classical animations from good ol' Hanna-Barbera!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting.... I also always wondered why Smurfette was the only girl....

Anonymous said...

Last week I got to play Smurfette for a great video project - but people don't look good as Smurfs :)

Mytutorlist.com said...

I agree, people don't look as good as smurfs. But that's a fun video project. What was it for?