Mytutorlist.com - Free Tutoring Classifieds Blog Home Advertise on this site! Blue Pandemonium Art and Toys Email Me!

Monday, February 25, 2008

Long, grueling day

It was a very long day for me. The shoot that I was on today went well, but it required a lot of dedicated attention and I had to be on-the-ball to give feedback, stay up to pace, and find any mistakes. Thus, at the end of the day, I was very, very tired. Unfortunately, I still had a lot of work to do before I could leave.

I had to send out end-of-day emails, set up batch scripts to run on the new data, and import data into the proper databases. If programs cooperate, this can be a time-consuming but straightforward task. However, I encountered numerous problems and by 7 pm (I started work at 8 am), my programs were still giving me error messages or frozen in processes thinking. I had no idea how long it would take before all the errors could be fixed and I wasn't even sure if I was doing the right thing. I gave up. I planned instead to come in early tomorrow with a fresh mind to find help and finish the remainder of the tasks.

But as I packed my things to go, others looked at me like I was abandoning them or being negligent in my duties. I felt guilty and irresponsible as I walked out the door and it made me feel angry. I had worked diligently and accomplished a great deal in my 11 hour work day. However, because my programs wouldn't run properly and because there were too many tasks allotted to this particular job task for the end of the day, I was unable to finish everything that I was assigned to do even though I had worked an extra 3 hours of un-paid overtime.

Rant over, I hope tomorrow will be a better day. I'm going to wrack my brain over how I can make this job task easier to manage and hopefully make a few suggestions for the future. Until then, I really need some sleep. I'm pooped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sleep tight! And remember, Monday's pretty much always stink... it's just a given! ;)

Mytutorlist.com said...

Thanks, Blaze! Your comments made me feel much better.