Mytutorlist.com - Free Tutoring Classifieds Blog Home Advertise on this site! Blue Pandemonium Art and Toys Email Me!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Felt Owl Doll Tutorial - Making Owly Friends

In a recent stroll of the neighborhood, I stopped into a thrift shop and found some of the most delightful baby clothes. Now, I feel badly saying this, but what I really liked about them was the fabric. It was soft, prettily patterned or knit, and I couldn't bear to part with it. It was 50% off sale time, so I figured, "Why not?" and took them home with me.

What spawned next, was a brainstorm for something to do with this lovely cloth.I decided to make an owl. And, get this, I was going to do it with a sewing machine. I normally handsew everything, so this was going to be a bit tricky. I have no idea how to use a sewing machine. Luckily, my mother did, and my sister had a sewing machine. This owl was going to be a group effort.
I picked two coordinating colours. A really adorable striped fabric, and a really pretty white fabric knitted with little patterned holes in it. I don't really know how to describe it, but I love it. Then I chose a nice sage green coloured felt for the wings and feet.
I spent the next day building myself a tutorial, complete with templates. Then I printed out the template, traced out the shapes, and cut them out.
The fabrics were very soft, so I ironed out the folds and joints first. Then I machine- sewed the body, and hand-stitched the close and the details.
Voila! It's a beautiful, soft owl! I think it would be perfect as a baby's toy since it is made with baby fabrics and there are no hard parts, beads, or buttons. I adore the colours, and it was super fast and easy to make.

The resulting owl doll is about 3.5 inches in length and height. It is about 1.5-2 inches wide.
This is my own design and it's something really sweet that you could make for a little loved one. One of the nice things about it is that it can sit up. The little feet look adorable sticking out the front.

I can't wait to make more with the other fabrics I purchased. I think I'll whip up a few other variations too. Maybe a BIGGER owl!
If you're interested in getting the pattern, you'll find it in my Etsy shop. You can also email me. If you do end up making one, I'd love to see the end result.

Happy a happy, owly day!

Arts and Crafts Tutorials

No comments: