Mytutorlist.com - Free Tutoring Classifieds Blog Home Advertise on this site! Blue Pandemonium Art and Toys Email Me!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week 2 of Semester 4

The second week of Semester 4 has gone by, and it was a good one.

Homework hadn't quite gone to the killer level yet, and I got my first patient to care for independently in clinical.  He turned out to be a really nice guy, and since I wasn't giving any medications yet, the workload was light.  I ended up helping my nurse out a lot, and the nurse spent time teaching me about different things on the ward, and showing me different procedures.

Some of my favourite moments this week:

Taming the Sheet Monster
There was a patient loudly crying in a room.  The LPN said, "Wow, it's been a long time since I've heard that around here."  Unfortunately, he was on his way to do something so he had to hurry off.  I didn't see anyone else around to intervene and there were no contact precautions on the room door, so I walked in to see what was wrong.

The patient was tossing and turning and crying about how she was uncomfortable.  She seemed to be all tangled up in her sheets.  I know how much that bothers ME, so I talked soothingly to her and set about fixing her sheets up.  I think she was feeling tired, stressed out, and uncomfortable, and the tangled sheets just tipped her scale.  Anyhow, after I fixed her up, she seemed to settle down.  I put her call bell in her hand and told her to call if she needed someone.

You're Not Alone
After I said good bye to my patient, I heard another patient moaning/sobbing in her bed.  I walked over to check what was going on, and found her very distressed.  She told me that she was all alone, and that she was frightened.  I explained to her that she was not all alone - there were three other patients in the room with her.  I pointed them out to her, and reminded her that there were also many nurses bustling about just outside her room.  "I can't see them though!" she said.

I realized that her eyesight must be poor even with her glasses, and that the dimmed room made it impossible for her to see the other patients.  I told her about how it was quiet time in the hospital, and how the lights had been dimmed so that patients could take a nap, watch some TV, and relax quietly.  They were all still there around her, they were just sleeping.  "Just because you can't see them," I said, "doesn't mean that they're not there.  There are people all around you.  You're not alone."

All the soothing talk seemed to make her feel better. She thanked me and I tucked her into bed.  I suggested that she take a nap too, and she agreed that it was a good idea.  I adjusted her call bell so that she could hold it in her hand.  "Push the button if you feel scared, " I told her, "and someone will come here to check on you.  The nurses are just outside your door."  She smiled, and I felt good inside.  It hadn't been a very hard task, but I think it was important.

Why I Do This
That sort of sums up the gist of what the past week has been like.  It was a very good start to the semester, and I am looking forward to the rest of it.  I was worried that I would fail and that the learning curve would kill me, but these experiences have reminded me about why I am going through all this trouble.  I know that I have the ability to help people even if I don't feel confident about my skills yet.

Lovely Teacher
Also, I am starting to really like my teacher.  She is so darn polite!  I could really learn a thing or two from her in the manners department.  I think she could tip-toe around most uncomfortable topics without offending anyone and still get her point clearly across.  She's also very knowledgeable.

I hope you all have a wonderful week!
My Nursing School Diary

1 comment:

saltvinegar said...

How's your moss terrarium doing now if you still have it..